*

Alright Meow, it's 2015!

Wednesday, November 26, 2014

The Original Chicken Nugget

I As mentioned before, I tend to call the scardey cat kittens 'chicken nuggets' because they are small and chicken..

This guy is the original chicken nugget 











Rocky


Rocky is a rescue, this is going back at least 10 years ago.
We were told about a litter of kittens that someone had basically kicked out of the house.
After searching around the houses then the in the forest area - I lifted a board up off the ground - they were there!
Scared, sick and alone.
I took the litter of kittens home - then to the vet.
They were scratched up and sickly looking.
One had an ulcerated eye.
There was no eye left. 
It had to be removed and closed up.
Tiny baby going through surgery. 
The wounds on the other cats were treated but James ( sibling ) did not have any. He looked fine. 
He was not fine.
His infection was internal. 
He died.
Of course I blamed myself... We should have treated him as well.. 
What we found out was that the kittens had been exposed to pesticides.

They had a long road to recovery.
I am not sure how long after this.. Maybe a month. Jessie developed an upper respiratory infection.
On it's own if caught early is very treatable and not a huge worry.
For some reason this cold quickly developed into pneumonia.

After spending two nights with him in the bathroom  one floor- giving him
Sub Q fluids, and everything else the vet asked me to do...Jessie died.
It was heartbreaking.. Well it's always heartbreaking..
I still believe the exposure to pesticides weakened his immunity and caused this.

The other siblings Apollo & Creed were adopted out. No residual issues.

I had bonded with Rocky. 
He would only eat when I was there after surgery. He needed me..
He claimed me.
When I moved out on my own my parents thought it best to leave him there with his new siblings
( Raven being his buddy kitty) 
I was always there so I don't think they felt abandoned.
Over the years he has only had two problems.
1 was a bout of Crystals which were treated.
The second was a reoccurring rash that caused him to get small ulcers on his lip and a bad rash on his stomach.
With an injection at the vets- this cleared up. Sometimes this happened once a summer, sometimes every other summer.
We do not know what causes it to occur.. Though stress may trigger it.

Rocky is very sweet. He is my baby boy.
My Peter Pan kitty.
Eternal kitten.
Skittish from the get go.
He is afraid of humans that are standing up.
He will only come to you if you are sitting down and Leeyah, my dog is not there to chase him away. 
Yesterday Rocky was acting weird. He was not running away- expected from Leeyah.
He was sitting very oddly or crouching as if to pee.
He was also licking his man parts obsessively.
He was blocked. 
He needed to see a vet .
After being examined at a local vets office- I took him to a wonderful lady vet- she is one of the most dedicated vets I have ever come across.
Rocky was not a happy kitty.
You could tell he was in pain.
He meowed the whole trip and even hissed a few times.
Very unlike him.
Not the meowing part.. That is normal.
After they flushed him out he started to purr. 
He was already feeling much better.

I was sent home with medication. Pain meds and instructions to bring him back in the next day if he doesn't pee. 
I decided it was best to cage him in my room in order to monitor him. 
I let him out for a bit - the weirdo keeps trying to go under the bed. 
That is where he hangs out at my parents. 
Only problem.. 
There is no under my bed. Its on the floor because I cant stand when the meows hide under the bed.

I woke up at 3:20am.. Randomly no idea why. 
I checked and Rocky had peed! 
Good boy! 
Now eat!

Of course I was compelled to write this story- which I will edit later.
It's 3:45am. I am just chilling with 'Rock Rock' as I call him. 
My original chicken nugget.

**********
I have not posted this yet so I will add an update.

He has peed a few times - yay happy about pee!

He would not eat all day.
It was causing me concern.
I called the vets office and they were to get back to me.
In the meantime I tried various things to entice him to eat.
Finally he did!
I am very happy about that.
I did not want to give him pain meds on an empty stomach.
Also he had not eaten since Tuesday morning.

He will be in my room for the duration of his medication.
After that I will have to figure out something so we can monitor his habits better.
Also I really want to give him more wet food and less dry.
That tends to be difficult in a multicat household ...



No comments:

Post a Comment

The cats would like to hear from the humans.