*

Alright Meow, it's 2015!

Tuesday, December 23, 2014

I'm not a Present


The Gift

You may think that giving me as a gift is a good idea.
That the person getting me will love me forever. 
Wait... do you even consider my life or just that moment when they find out?
They are so happy! At first. 
They love me! For now.
I am the best gift ever!. Will I be around for next Christmas?
http://quotes.lol-rofl.com/sad-kitty/












Sure, you rescued me... but did you really?
That person who is getting me as a gift only wants a kitten. I grow. 
I'm afraid of being alone, will they care?
I have claws, do I get to keep them?
Will I live outside after I grow out of being cute?
If I get sick will they help me?
I am scared. This is all new to me. 
I need protection, isn't that what you are suppose to do?
My life is in your hands now. 
The choice is up to you.
I really don't want to be re-gifted.
If you were me would you?



The kids Christmas list.

She loved me.
I was special. 
She carried me.
I was her baby.
We were together all the time.
An unbreakable bond?
I was so happy. 
This was all true.

Then I grew up.
She stopped playing with me.
She had new toys.
She stopped carrying me.
I don't know what to do..
I hide in the basement.
Guess our time was through. 

I think of the days, before I was here. 
I lived in a cage..it was a bit small.
There were so many of us and they wanted to find homes for us all.
A lady came in on December 23.
Picked me because I was fluffy... at least that's what I heard. 

I was to be a surprise for her little girl.

She promised me love. 
She promised me the world. 
She did not promise to care for me herself. 
Isn't that what you are suppose to do?
Your child is not an adult... these things are up to you!

We took a trip, a short car ride.
It didn't take long, and now I am inside. 
They talked, she lied.
Fake tears were cried. 
My daughter is allergic, and I don't know what to do. 
Believe me, this is the last thing I want to do!












I just want to be loved. 
I want to feel safe. 
Never thought I would be back here.
I think it's the same cage. 

It's summer now. 
Someone just came in.
For my sanity please do not let me be a gift again. 
http://thebouncymutt.blogspot.ca/


Santa has rules too!

Santa would never do it!
Neither should you!
An animal isn't an item.
An animal isn't a toy, for a good little girl or a good little boy.

An animal isn't an ornament.
An animal isn't without feelings.
An animal isn't something you play with, then put away.
An animal should be loved a life time, not just a day.

This Holiday Season think about my needs, not just your own.
Give me a chance to be part of a family, not as a toy.
As a loving member then I will be filled with joy!


Santa knows that this is a better idea.












Start out with a stuffie, then talk with your kids. 
Plan an outing to a shelter, have them involved in the process. 
Let them see the shelter and where the kitty came from. 

Plan ahead.
There is nothing wrong with adopting around the holidays if you do it as a family and not as a gift. 
A pet is an addition to your family, it should never be thought of as an item. 
Items are disposable. Pets should not be. 
If you are considering adding an animal to your family that is awesome!
Just do not be a moron about it. 
Know that as the adult you will be caring for this animal. 
You can suggest, bribe, trick your child into cleaning up after the animal... but be realistic. ...you will. 
Your kid may say they will do all the cleaning and walk the dog and feed the cat...chances are you will be walking the dog and feeding the cat. 
That's okay! Though a child can learn responsibility by caring for an animal.. animals should not be used as tools - they are a privilege. 
Kids are not always reliable - that's part of the kid thing...you are the adult. This is your job. 
Reward your child for caring.. do not punish the pet by leaving its needs unattended. 
 
I am not saying you can not adopt around Christmas time.. it can actually be a good time because many people are on holiday and can devote more time to the initial transition.

If you really want to give a gift - donate to a shelter. 
Your time, money, items....

It does not have to be this way. 
If you think ahead this can be good. 
I can be happy !

No comments:

Post a Comment

The cats would like to hear from the humans.