*

Alright Meow, it's 2015!

Monday, February 2, 2015

Cat Ailments A to Z - Insect Stings/Bites

kjk

Insect Stings & Bites
deged
I admit, there have been times when I have basically begged my cat to kill a centipede...or spider..sorry. 
I try my hardest to save the rest, or quickly put them out of their misery if there is no way for escape. 
THEY ARE CREEPY AND THEY FREAK ME OUT. 

I still don't want anything to suffer. 
Every bug, bee..or weird other flying legged creepy freak of a bug I have saved- you should have warned your friends. My cats fear no bug. 

Maybe they should. 

I fear the part of this post where I have to look up what insects can be poisonous or seem to cause distress in cats. 
I don't wanna. 
I really don't, I know there will be pictures..I know I should add pictures so people know what they look like. 

First.. information.

Cats explore with their paws and noses. 
They go face first into danger and don't even realize they are doing it. 
Many insect bites such as Bees. Wasps, Hornets - tend to happen on the paws or in the face.
Cats react basically the same way we humans do. Except the are much smaller and seeing them with a swollen paw or swollen face is much more disturbing. 
That is considered a Localized  Histamine Release
This can cause some pain, but the pain and swelling should usually be gone in 2 days. 
The pain is not extreme. If you notice your cat acting differently, not eating. or the swelling is not subsiding - take kitty to the vet. 
Some cats react differently to being stung. 
They get what is called a Generalized Histamine Release.
The Generalized Histamine release that can lead to vomiting, diarrhea, collapse, anaphylactic shock, and even death.
Just like with humans, the only way to know if the cat will have this response is for them to be stung. 
Stupid how that works...
A human can be treated with what is called an Epi Pen
A CAT CAN NOT BE TREATED WITH A HUMANS EPI PEN
Regardless how they act - they are not furry people!
There may be pet versions available. 
By that I mean the dosage.

EpiPen Auto-Injector dosing

Auto-Injector Epinephrine Concentration Patient Weight
EpiPen Auto-Injector 0.3 mg (0.3 mL, 1:1000) ≥30 kg (≥66 pounds)
EpiPen Jr Auto-Injector 0.15 mg (0.3 mL, 1:2000) 15-30 kg (33-66 pounds)
For a cat the concentration is much different. 
Above you can see that the regular epi is 1:1000, and the jr epi is 1:2000
A cats concentration may need to be 1:10 000 - that is a huge difference.
SO LIKE I SAID BEFORE NO EPI PENS ON CATS

Some state that you can use Benadryl, others say it is ineffective. 
Some say harmful. 
Unless you know what you are doing - don't do it!
That is a simple rule that people suck at following.


But I don't wanna look at spiders :(

In Ontario, the only venomous snake is the Massasauga Rattlesnake.
Treatment for rattlesnake bites includes supportive care, intravenous fluids, pain killers, and sometimes antibiotics. These treatments should occur at a veterinary facility. Antivenom use is controversial.
We do have many asshats with snakes..who really should never have them. 
So there is a  possibility of a species that is not from here.. roaming the streets..
I don't know what to tell you.. other than take a picture.. run.. get to a vet. 
Then punch yourself in the face for letting your cat outside. 
Then find out who owns the snake and ...well that is up to you. 

Sometimes I hate learning.
So Ontario has Black Widow Spiders.. I could have gone without knowing that.
Black widow spider venom is a neurotoxin. Benadryl has no direct impact on cats bitten by black widows, and no home treatments are effective. Symptoms of black widow spider envenomation include severe pain (with marked vocalization), severe GI upset, paralysis, drooling, seizures, and staggering. Death often occurs as a result of respiratory paralysis. Treatment must occur at a veterinary facility and is symptomatic: pain control, antiseizure medications, and intravenous fluids are administered. There is an anti-venom for black widow spiders that is considered safe for use in cats, but it is not commonly available.
I did a copy and paste. 
I don't even like reading about them...
 Oh.. we also have the Brown Recluse
I won't be sleeping tonight. 
There will be very little help regarding spiders ..sorry..google it. 
Best bet is to take a pic if you can and get to the vet.. 
Much less of a chance of your cat getting bit or stung by any of these things -JUST KEEP THEM INSIDE
Though they may still get stung..the % is much lower. 

In order to get nasty images out of my head....

http://cuteoverload.com/2013/07/09/this-just-in-kitten-in-crocheted-mushroom-costume/
I have no idea what kitty is suppose to be. But I bet it's warm!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The cats would like to hear from the humans.